Traditional classes are time-based learning. You spend a specific amount of time on a topic and then you move on to the next topic. For example, in 220 you might cover while and for loops in week 5, take a quiz on them, and then move on to ArrayLists in week 6. Suppose you got a 75% on that quiz in week 5. That means that you did not learn 25% of the material. In week 10 you take a test on inheritance and get an 80% (you did not master 20% of the material). These gaps in your mastery start adding up, and eventually, in some future class you will hit a wall.
In contrast, in Mastery Learning you stay on the topic until you master it. You work at your own pace. The bulk of this class centers on this approach. You stay on a topic until you master it. The lectures are a set of videos (mostly screencasts) that you can watch at anytime.
Some class elements are traditional time-based ones and they are indicated on the schedule below.
Actual scheduled events are listed in bold.
Suggested schedule of videos is indicated in blue links.
Suggested dates to finish projects is indicated in brown.
General topics to be working on are indicated in gray.
- 26 August intro to course
- 2 September LaborDay
- 4 September
- development environment set up.
- a short talk about the development process including testing using Postman
- 24 January RAT 1 hfSQL ch1&2
- Start React Course – Could probably get over halfway done using the long weekend.
- 9 September – Lightning Round 0 (lightning round prep)
- Continue with React Course
- Preliminaries 24:17
- PG and SQL injection 17:22
- NodeJS Server – todo list manager 16:57
- NodeJS Server API Part 2 12:19
- 16 September RAT 2 hfSQL ch3, 4, 5 & 12
- Introduction to Git 33:59
- Git addendum 16:57
- Cloud Services 9:15
- Getting Started With Google Cloud 11:00
- Running NodeJS Apps on Google Cloud 11:04
- A NodeJS Production Environment 11:48
- Rudiment: Workshop Server 1a
- Movie Demo Code
- 23 September – Lightning Round 1 (helpful to bring textbook)
- finish React course
- Complete Web App Using React
- Rudiment: Workshop Server 1b
- 30 September RAT 3 hfSQL ch 6,7
- server 2 rudiment requires you read hfSQL ch8
- Normal Form SQL 21:17
- More on Normalization 35:07
- Rudiment – React rudiment
- 7 October Lightning Round 2
- Rudiment – Complete Web App
- Rudiment – Server 2
- Hashing Passwords – 19:21
- Bcrypt – 20:22
- 14 October – Fall Break
- 15 October TBD
- 21 October – RAT 4 hfSQL 8, 9, 10
- 23 October Lightning Round 3
- Rudiment -Where in the World
- Rudiment – Super Search
- 28 October-
- Rudiment – Redis
- start Final Creative Project
- 4 November
- Rudiment – Mongo Map Reduce
- 11 November
- Wednesday 4 April – Lightning Round 3
- Rudiment – MongoDB
- 18 November
- 25 November
- 27 November – Thanksgiving Break
- 2 December
- 4 December – last class day