11 Jan; 13 Jan
Introduction, bits, binary, ASCII, programming, Android
18 Jan; 20 Jan
- Team Worksheet 0: Intro to Android AppInventor
25 Jan; 27 Jan
- Quiz 0 Tuesday: 1 8.5 x 11 page of notes allowed
- linear vs. binary search (tearing the phone book in half)
- binary numbers
- ASCII (know the code for ‘A’ to ‘Z’ and ‘a’ to ‘z’ — hint: you only need to know the numbers for ‘A’ and ‘a’ and you can figure the rest out)
- Android AppInventor – team challenge 0
- pseudocode (for ex., the socks example)
- Android App Architecture (see this pdf)
- Pick-a-Partner Task #1: Learn a Language Flashcards
1 Feb; 3 Feb
- Individual Challenge 0 due 1 Feb.
8 Feb; 10 Feb
- Make Quiz/Take Quiz demo (15 min)
- Intro to Python (pdf of slides)
- Team Python Worksheet
- Individual Python Project (due Feb 18) (pdf of walkthrough)
15 Feb; 17 Feb
- Quiz 1: 1 page of notes. Feb 15.
- Average 52; standard deviation 11.15
- Loop work – While loops and intro to for-loops.
- Individual Python Project 2 (due 25 Feb)
22 Feb; 24 Feb
- Comments on the first Python project
- Note: It seems like a good number of people had problems with the first Python project. Don’t panic. We will work on it in class to get a better understanding of this (and to gain additional XP). I don’t want people to be totally frustrated so we will take it slowly and regroup.
1 Mar; 3 Mar
- spring break
8 Mar; 10 Mar
- review of what we were doing b4 break!
- Team task on functions
- Partner task on functions
15 Mar; 17 Mar
- Partner task on functions continued
- frequently occurring issues
- Individual Python Task: Cryptography — due 25 March 11:59pm.
- searching and sorting
22 Mar; 24 Mar
- final project pre-proposal due 22 Mar 11:59pm.
Each student will generate one or more ideas for a final project. By the deadline send me a short informal email explaining your ideas and your motivation (what interests you about the ideas). If you have any questions, please include those. The subject line of the pre-proposal should be pre-proposal. Each student will present their ideas to the class on 24 March. After the presentations you will organize into development teams.
- Tuesday Quiz — Python including defining functions.
- Sorting Project
29 Mar; 31 Mar
5 Apr; 7 Apr
- code used in class — all in one zip file.
12 Apr; 14 Apr
19 Apr; 21 Apr
- 21 Apr Demo Day
26 Apr 12-2:30pm Final Exam Period